Status update, February 2019
Hi, time for February’s status update!
Once again this month I’ve worked a lot on sway and wlroots. We’re getting closer to 1.0 with each RC and I see fewer and fewer crash reports. We still have a couple of bugs to iron out, but we’re almost there!
Apart from reviewing pull requests, I’ve finished refactoring and fixing a lot of drag-and-drop bugs. It should now work a lot better than before. I’ve also taken the time to cleanup and refactor a lot of the rootston code (wlroots' reference compositor). In particular the views abstractions and the rendering code have been rewritten. Next up is the input code (rootston’s input code is well-known for being especially shitty!).
I’ve also learnt new things by adding proper FreeBSD support to builds.sr.ht.
The FreeBSD community has been very helpful and was very pleasant to work with.
Dave Cottlehuber wrote a very helpful script draft to build a
bootable FreeBSD image from scratch in an automated fashion. From these notes
I wrote a little
genimg script suitable for builds.sr.ht,
and voilà, we now have 11.x-RELEASE, 12.x-RELEASE and 13.x-CURRENT FreeBSD
Thanks to the work of Bill Doyle and Anton Älgmyr, the mako notification daemon
has gained support for grouping and can now display
icons. That’s pretty awesome, expect a new release soon-ish.
slurp has been improved too: Yorick van Pelt has made it so the tool exits
when Esc is pressed and improved multi-monitor support, while
Ridan Vandenbergh has added a
-f flag to set the print format.
I’m currently working on some lists.sr.ht stuff and e-mail related things in addition to sway, but I’ll write about this in the next status report (hint hint: make sure to read it!). I’m also working for Purism on a cool Wayland project, I’ll write a little post about it in the next few weeks (hint hint: stay tuned!).
Thanks for reading!