시몽

Status update, December 2020

Hi all! This status update is the 24th one, so it’s been 2 years I’ve started writing those now (ignoring a little hiatus). Time flies!

This month I’ve invested a lot of time into wlroots. My main focus has been renderer v6, which has now been internally rolled out to all backends. I’m now working on moving all of the rendering stuff out of the backends, starting with the cursor handling. This should also help with the work-in-progress explicit synchronization implementation. Apart from these big under-the-hood changes, I’ve also improved the DRM backend, fixing some bugs and simplifying the logic.

As part of my gamescope-related work I’ve contributed to a few upstream projects like amdgpu and radv. I’ve sent a dozen amdgpu patches to improve the atomic commit checks. A bad KMS configuration would previously result in a corrupted result, now amdgpu lets user-space know that the configuration is invalid and user-space can fall back to something else. This greatly helps libliftoff to choose the best possible configuration.

I’ve continued my work on improving docs for DRM in the kernel, and also sent a few patches to check drivers provide a sensible set of primary planes. I’m now also a libdrm committer and pushed a few documentation improvements there.

Apart from graphics, other of my projects have received some interesting updates too. Thanks to delthas, the soju IRC bouncer can now be configured to automatically detach a channel when there’s no activity, and to automatically re-attach when there’s new activity. This can be used for instance to hide low-traffic channels, or automatically detach from a high-traffic channel if you’re not highlighted for a while. I’ve also rolled out delivery receipts, which allow to avoid loosing messages when a client connection breaks. Various bug fixes have been contributed by Hubert Hirtz. Thanks both of you!

I’ve polished go-msgauth, my Go library for DKIM and other related standards. It’s now used in production on the SourceHut mail servers. Our previous OpenDKIM setup was causing DKIM validation failures because of some various musl-related issues. go-msgauth should fix that.

Last by not least, the first version of the basu D-Bus library has been released. Patches to add basu support to mako and swaybar have been merged. The next big milestone will be FreeBSD support, Kenny Levinsen has gotten as far as making a few tests pass (with some hacks). Soon™!

See you next month!


Questions, comments? Please use my public inbox by sending a plain-text email to ~emersion/public-inbox@lists.sr.ht.

Articles from blogs I follow

Status update, January 2021

Hello from the future! My previous status update was last year, but it feels like it was only a month ago. I hope you didn't miss my crappy jokes too much during the long wait. One of the advancements that I would like to mention this month is the genera…

via Drew DeVault's blog

Developing Wayland Color Management and High Dynamic Range

(This post was first published with Collabora on Nov 19, 2020.)Wayland (the protocol and architecture) is still lacking proper consideration for color management. Wayland also lacks support for high dynamic range (HDR) imagery which has been around in mov…

via Pekka Paalanen

Lockdep False Positives, some stories about

Lockdep is giving false positives are the new the compiler is broken.— David Airlie (@DaveAirlie) August 8, 2020 Recently we’ve looked a bit at lockdep annotations in the GPU subsystems, and I figured it’s a good opportunity to explain how this all works, a…

via stuff by danvet

Generated by openring