Last Friday we’ve shipped wlroots 0.16! This long-overdue release is the fruit of 10 months worth of work from 46 contributors. It includes many improvements, especially around new protocol support, the scene-graph API and the Vulkan renderer. See the release notes for more details!
With the new release freshly delivered, we’re already working on the next one. I’ve been continuing my work on the Vulkan renderer: the patch to stop blocking while the GPU is rendering is almost ready to be merged. I’ve even fixed a Vulkan-ValidationLayers bug along the way. I’ve also investigated color management and ICC profiles a bit more, and have a better idea of what we need to lay down the first pieces of the puzzle.
I’ve reached a new milestone for wlroots-rs: the example can now display a red screen! I’ve cleaned up my work and properly exposed the API in a package. I’m still not super happy about the way the compositor state is handled, if you have suggestions please let me know!
I’ve released libdrm 2.4.114 with new helpers to allocate DRM dumb buffers. Up until now this is something developers had to hand-roll themselves with raw IOCTLs, hopefully this addition can help newcomers and improve type safety. I’ve also released Pixman 0.42.0 with a constified API for regions and work by Manuel Stoeckl to fix bugs discovered via the wlroots Pixman renderer and port demos to GTK3.
I’ve got two NPotMs! The first one is libjsonschema, which is basically the C counterpart of go-jsonschema. It generates C definitions and functions to encode and decode JSON defined by a schema. This project is still very much WIP, my goal is to use it in drm_info and eventually in libdisplay-info.
The second new project is go-smee. It’s a Go version of the official Node.js smee client. smee is a handy tool when writing code which leverages Web hooks: it’s a proxy which forwards Web hooks to a locally running server. At some point I got annoyed enough with Node.js to convince me to write an alternative client.
That’s all for now, see you next month!