Status update, January 2023
This month’s status update will be lighter than usual: I’ve been on leave for a while at the end of December. To make up for this, I have some big news: we’ve released Sway 1.8! This brings a whole lot of improvements from wlroots 0.16, as well as some nice smaller additions to Sway itself. We’re still working on fixing up a few regressions, so I’ll probably release wlroots 0.16.2 soon-ish.
Together with Sebastian Wick we’ve plumbed support for more data blocks to libdisplay-info. We now support everything in the base EDID block! We’re filling the gaps in our CTA-861 implementation, and we’re getting ready to release version 0.1.0. As expected EDID blobs continue to have many fields packed in creative ways, duplicating information and contradicting each other, ill-defined in many specifications and vendor-specific formats.
I’ve continued working on the goguma Android IRC client. I’ve wired up automatic bug reporting via GlitchTip – this helps a lot because grabbing logs from Android is much more complicated than it needs to be. Thanks to the bug dashboard I’ve fixed numerous crashes. I’ve also sent upstream a fix for unreliable notifications when UnifiedPush is used.
The NPotM is chayang, a small tool to gradually dim the screen. This can be used to implement a grace period before turning off the screens, to let the user press a key or move the mouse to keep the screens on.
Last but not least, I’ve written a patch to add support for ACME DNS challenges to tlstunnel. ACME DNS challenges unlock support for wildcard certificates in Let’s Encrypt. Unfortunately there is no widely supported standard protocol to update DNS records, so tlstunnel delegates this task to a helper script with the same API as dehydrated’s hooks.
That’s it! See you next month.